Friday, December 6, 2013

Red Velvet Cookies With White Chocolate Chips




I saw searching for a good Red Velvet cupcake recipe and stumbled on these Red Velvet cookies. I LOVE cookies with the cracks on top. So I had to make them! I found this recipe on the Cooking Classy website. I had all of the ingredients for this recipe on hand - but I was out of red food coloring.


I always buy red gel food coloring which you can buy at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Williams Sonoma or Sur la Table. I bought my red gel food coloring at Hobby Lobby. Note: When going to these stores during December allow extra time. The lines are long with people asking stupid questions. Apparently everyone wants to be Martha Stewart come December. After December 13 or 14th I stop going to craft stores until after Christmas. Craft stores are my "zen" place and I cannot relax and look around when everyone is blocking the aisles.

Ingredients:

3 cups flour

1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup butter, softened

1 1/3 cup granulated sugar

3 large eggs

1 tablespoon milk

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 teaspoons lemon juice

5 teaspoons red food coloring

1 cup white chocolate chips

2 cups powdered sugar


Directions:

In a large bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine. Set aside.

In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the butter and sugar and mix on low until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time making sure each egg is throughly mixed in. Add the milk, vanilla and lemon juice. Mix well.

Now add the red food coloring while the mixer is on low. Once the batter is a beautiful red color. Slowly add the dry ingredients. Once the dry ingredients have been incorporated shut the mixer off and stir in the white chocolate chips.

Cover the mixer bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for approximately two hours.

Tic Tock - it has now been two hours.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the powdered sugar in a bowl. Remove the mixer bowl from the  refrigerator and start rolling the red velvet dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Roll the balls in the powdered sugar.


Place the balls on cookie sheets and flatten them slightly. Bake for 12 - 14 minutes.


Let the cookies cool for a few minutes on the cookie sheet then transfer them to a wire rack.


These cookies piled high on a cake plate - look like Christmas. Although I was thinking they would also be perfect for Valentine's Day!

While I was Hobby Lobby - I bought a whole bunch craft supplies to make ornaments ! So keep checking back if you need some easy and fun ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment