Sunday, May 22, 2011

Pasta Salad in a Jar

I made some pasta salad and put it into individual jars. I used yellow ribbon because I was bringing the pasta salad for lunch after the tennis match.


This is a really easy project and a great presentation.  Once you tie the ribbon around your jar - you can wedge a plastic fork (or a real fork) into the ribbon.


Oops! In my awesome photo (not!) I cut off the top of the fork - but you get the idea!


Once I get the pasta salad in the jars, tie the ribbon and wedge the fork.... I put the jars in a large shallow basket. Oh and I forgot to tell you - I punched a white 2" circle to lightly tape on the top of the jar.

I was going to write on the circle - the name of my tennis club and the words welcome to the club we were hosting. However, Father Time is not my friend and I had to get to my son's baseball game! I was too tired to write tags when I got home!

Pasta Salad recipe:

1 Box of Barilla tricolor pasta (boil according to directions)
6 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 Tablespoons of canola oil
2 Tablespoons of pesto
2 Tablespoons of capers
1/2 Tablespoon of salt
1 Tablespoon of pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/3 cup finely chopped chives
1 red pepper, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup of diced mozzarella
1 cucumber, finely diced
3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely sliced
1/3 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh spinach leafs, finely chopped

While the pasta is boiling - I whisk the olive oil, canola oil, pesto, salt and pepper. Then I add the capers, and start washing and chopping the veggies and adding them to a huge bowl. Once I drain the pasta and I add it to the bowl of dressing and veggies - I take a few bites to make sure that the pasta has enough dressing. I know that many people use a prepared Italian salad dressing and that is perfectly fine.

My pasta salad is always very flavorful because of all the vegetables. But if I feel it needs a little extra dressing I might add a few tablespoons of Italian dressing.

Now you need to wait until the pasta salad has cooled for about 10 minutes before you start putting it into your sterilized jars. Then put the tops on! Tie a ribbon around your jar. Wedge your fork in the ribbon. And if you have the energy punch a circle an write on it "Happy Birthday Joe" or "Memorial Day 2011."

This recipe makes approximately 14-15 jars of pasta salad. The best thing about this recipe is that you can make four jars of pasta salad and keep the rest in a bowl in the fridge. Or you can double the recipe and make 30 jars of pasta salad.

Trust me when you bring these cute jars of pasta salad to the BBQ everyone will be amazed at your Martha Stewartness! You will be known as the Martha Stewart in your circle of family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment