Sunday, March 18, 2012

Pink Swirl Cookies


I am going to make these again. I was so frustrated rolling the two colors of dough together. And my dough did not roll easily in the sprinkles. I ended up pressing the sprinkles in by flatting the dough into the sprinkles - then making it into a roll shape again.  At one point I was going to throw the whole thing away and start over.

I used Martha Stewart's Sugar Cookie Recipe - I have been talking/writing about trying her sugar cookie recipe for months. Perhaps I should have used another sugar cookie recipe. I don't know....

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
pink gel food coloring
1 cup pastel colored sprinkles

Directions:

Whisk flour, salt and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy. With mixer running add the egg, milk and vanilla until well combined. Slowly add flour mixture and mix until well combined.

Take the dough out of the bowl and divide in half. Add 1/2 of the dough back into the bowl and mix with a few drops of Wilton pink gel food coloring.

Now I rolled each color out and placed between parchment paper on a cookie sheet in the fridge for about and hour. Now I am thinking that I should have made two disks. And rolled out afterward. Live and learn.

After an hour I tried to get the two colors off of the parchment paper. The dough was too hard by that time.


I placed the two colors of dough on top of each other and cut the excess away with a sharp knife. Then I slowly started to roll the colors together.


Then I rolled the dough in sprinkles. Helpful hint - put the sprinkles in a shallow pan so that they don't get all over your kitchen. We have all had the sprinkle everywhere problem at least once! Right?


Roll the sprinkled dough into a piece of plastic wrap and place back into the refrigerator for at least one hour.


After an hour you can slice and bake!  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and slice the cookies into 1/4 inch slices. Bake for approximately 10 minutes.


The swirl did not come out perfect because I flattened the roll during my sprinkle frustration. I am going to Google swirl cookie recipes and read each one for hints and tips!

These would be a wonderful spring/Easter cookie. Check back next week for a perfect swirl cookie recipe.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment