Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Blueberry Crumble Cake


Yesterday I was watching the Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network and Ina made A Blueberry Crumble Cake. It looked fantastic. So today I made it! When I looked the recipe up on her website - it noted what cookbook each recipe was from. I have all of her cookbooks!

The recipe was from the "Barefoot Contessa At Home ." I found the recipe on page 230. Her cookbooks are really wonderful.


Ingredients:

For the Streusel - 

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon nutmeg

1 stick of butter, melted

1 1/3 cups flour

For the Cake -

6 tablespoon butter, at room temperature

3/4 cups granulated sugar

2 eggs, room temperature

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 teaspoon lemon zest

2/3 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1 cup fresh blueberries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9-inch round baking pan. I did not have a 9-inch baking pan. I do however, have at least 4 pans that are 8-inch. So I used a 9-inch springform pan.

In a small bowl combine the Streusel ingredients. Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in the melted butter and then add the flour. Mix well until it forms a crumbly mixture - set aside.

Now start making the cake! Cream the butter and sugar in your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed for 4 to 5 minutes. I love my KitchenAid stand mixer. I seriously couldn't live without it. And it is so easy to clean. I despise cleaning my food processor.

Reduce the speed and add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla, lemon zest and sour cream.

In another bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With the mixer on low speed slowly add the flour mixture to the batter until the batter is just combined.


Gently fold in the blueberries.


Pour the batter into your prepared pan.


Then sprinkle the streusel topping over the cake batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely and serve by cutting into wedges.


I really love a streusel topping!


My husband doesn't like blueberries and he even liked this cake. He told me it tasted store-bought. Really? That was the best compliment you could give?




No comments:

Post a Comment