Friday, June 3, 2011

Summer Layered Salad

Today I made a lovely layered salad to bring to my tennis match. This is a very refreshing and figure friendly salad. I actually started making the salad the day before - a trick I learned from my mom.


The day before the match I washed and chopped the napa cabbage, julienned  the yellow bell peppers, shredded the carrots and peeled and sectioned the grapefruits. I placed everything into individual ziplock bags and placed them in the fridge for the morning.


I always use my footed glass bowl whenever I make a layered salad.  Hopefully you have one of these in your cupboard.  If not try to find a glass bowl with straight sides.


I added 5 cups of shredded napa cabbage to my bowl.


On top of the cabbage I added 3 julienned yellow bell peppers and pressed down on the lettuce.


Now I added the sections from 3 red grapefruits. Remember I peeled and sectioned the grapefruit the night before.


On top of the grapefruit I added 2 cups of shredded carrots, 1/3 cup of sliced green onions and the zest of one lime.

Cut your green onions in very small little rings since they are on the very top of the salad - it is important that they look pretty.


Doesn't this look lovely? And the bulk of the work I did the night before!


I made the dressing in a jar so that it would transport to the tennis club without any spills!

To make the dressing I added 1/3 cup of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of tequila, a few tablespoons of fresh ginger and lime zest.


I also added a small jalapeno in which I seed and diced  into the dressing. It smelled so good while I was driving to the tennis club.

 I think everyone really liked the salad. To serve just give the dressing a few shakes and toss the salad with the dressing.





Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment