Saturday, June 4, 2011

Pencils!

Today I finished making one of the end-of-year treats for Christian's class.  I made 38 of these pencils! I wish that I could take credit for this idea but it was featured in the 2010 issue of Creating Keepsakes magazine. They had some additional steps in the magazine that I deleted - like wrapping thin silver tape in the area between the yellow and pink papers and crimping the yellow paper. I don't want to be lazy - BUT the kids are just going to rip these open to gobble up the candy!


To make these pencils you will need:

* individual packages of Rolos
* bag of Hershey's Kisses
* yellow card stock
* light pink card stock
* glue gun
* sharp scissors
* ruler
* pinking shears
* double stick tape
* black Sharpie pen

My very first tip is to buy the Rolos at Target - by the front checkout area. At Target the Rolos are .79 each and I saw them other places for $1.19 and .99. I bought 38 packages of Rolos so the lower price is important.


The first step that you should do is hot glue a Hershey's kiss to the top of the Rolo. Be sure to trim the little Hershey's tag off with some sharp scissors.


While I was watching the French Open I cut the yellow card stock into 4 1/2" x 4" pieces.


I cut one of the shorter (4') sides with pinking shears.


Once I cut 38 pieces of yellow card stock and used pinking shears to cut one side. I rolled the yellow card stock around the Rolos.


I put double stick tape on the three sides that were not trimmed with the pinking shears. And rolled the yellow card stock around the Rolo. The zig zag side should be facing the Hershey Kiss.


I used a ton of double stick tape on this project!


I marked the end of the pencil with a black  Sharpie marker - No. 2.


Okay - when I bought the yellow card stock at Michael's I was sure that I had pink card stock at home. But I didn't. The pink paper that I had was hot pink - erasers are not hot pink! So I improvised - I found some light pink wrapping paper.  I cut the wrapping paper in to 3/8" x 3 1/2" strips.


Using double stick tape I wrapped and taped the light pink paper around the top of Rolo.


I made 38 of these pencils! By the time I was done my back was killing me!


This would be a wonderful back to school lunch box treat or a fun year end treat for the classroom.

Now I must go lay down on a heating pad!


No comments:

Post a Comment