Saturday, February 9, 2013

Butternut Squash Soup

Lately I have been making a lot of homemade soup. This is my Butternut Squash soup that I made for dinner last night.

It is full of fresh veggies and has a mild flavor that your whole family will be able to enjoy. Perhaps you are trying to eat more vegetables? Or eat clean? This is the perfect recipe!



Ingredients:

3 tablespoons of olive oil

1 medium butternut squash

1 small onion, chopped

1 stalk of celery, chopped

1 carrot, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

3 cups low sodium chicken broth

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives

1/2 cup low fat sour cream

1/2 cup extra large croutons

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash your butternut squash. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and strings. Using one tablespoon of the olive oil - gently brush the cut side of the squash and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.



After 45 minutes remove the butternut squash from the oven - let cool for a few minutes.




In a large heavy pot over medium heat add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, onion, celery and carrot. Sauté these vegetables until tender for about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.



Scoop the butternut squash flesh into the pot and add the 3 cups of chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes.

Remove the pot from the heat and using your immersion blender puree the soup until it is very smooth.  If you don't have an immersion blender - you could use your regular blender.




Serve in bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream, a tablespoon of chives and a few extra large croutons. I always serve soup with a green salad.


I have also had this soup in restaurants  garnished with pumpkin seeds and at parties they often serve this soup in a shot glass.

I wish I had a better picture of the finished soup - but it is so hard to make, take a photo and feed to a hungry family.

My husband thinks I should have garnished the soup with bacon!


2 comments:

  1. I am so into soups lately! Especially after this blizzard we just had. I love butternut squash and so do the kids so I am going to make this for sure! (As soon as I can get out of my house...snowed in big time). I love the idea of eating clean...big fan of Dr. Oz. Will publish a comment when I make. Maybe for Ash Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - what a great idea to make on Ash Wednesday or on Friday during Lent. I also have a great corn chowder recipe that would work if you omitted the bacon. Look on Labels under soup.

      Delete