Thursday, October 13, 2011

Bible/Scripture Verse Treat


I made some little Bible treats for the 6th Grade Bible study class. I have taught a CCD class for 10 years. It is something that I have truly LOVED.  I have a box full of beautiful notes that my students have written to me about their faith journey and photos from their First Communions - I am going to save them forever.

This year my son doesn't get out of school in time for me to teach a 4 p.m. class. He gets out of school at 3:25 p.m. and by the time we make it through the carpool lane and drive home it is 4 p.m.

So another Mom has been teaching the 6th Grade Bible class for two years and she is awesome! I did not want to step on her toes so.....instead of the preparing lessons for the class, xeroxing worksheets, planning crafts, setting up the classroom  etc. I am just a helper! Our new 6th Grade Bible class is at 5:15 p.m. every other Tuesday.  One of the projects that I have always enjoyed is making treats for the children. So that is what I have offered to do.


I saw these cute Bible treats on several internet websites and blogs. The majority of people who made these treats used the Hershey Bliss Bites. But.....and you there was a "but" coming - our Scripture verse that we were using this week was too long for the Bliss Bites so I used the Hershey Miniature Bars.


So crafters - always know that you can go to Plan B. I am already thinking about what type of candy or cookie that I can use to write the Ten Commandments. If you have any ideas for my Ten Commandment project let me know.

The Supply List -

Ruler
Scissors
Black Construction Paper
Scotch Tape
Bag of Hershey Miniatures
Thin Red Ribbon
Scripture Verse

First cut your black construction paper into 2 3/4" x 2 1/4" pieces.  Tip: you can buy a piece or two of heavy black scrapbook paper at a craft store for less than a dollar.

Now take two mini candy bars and tape them to the black paper like this:



They are taped to the black paper upside down so that you have a flat area to work with.


Using a small piece of tape - adhere a 2 1/2" piece of red ribbon at the very top and between the two candy bars. I bought a spool of thin red ribbon at Michael's for fifty cents.


Now I had to experiment with typing the Scripture verse. I started with a 12 point font, then I tried a 10 point and ended up using an 8 point font size.  The Scripture needs to fit on a 2 1/4" x 1 3/4" size of paper.  Once you find the correct size - cut the verse out and tape it on the candy bars.

This is a simple project that just involves a lot of measuring, cutting and taping. This would also be a wonderful project to make for a First Communion, Baptism or Confirmation.

No comments:

Post a Comment