Thursday, February 27, 2014

Lemon Cupcakes filled with Lemon Curd



My son has baseball games and practices at a field that is behind a Whole Foods. Often my husband and I will grab a quick bite at Whole Foods. While my husband was ordering some food - I wandered off to look at the floral section and eventually ended up front of the cupcakes. I thought we should get a cupcake and share it - but a simple lemon cupcake was $4 and if I pay $4 for a cupcake, I want it to be from a specialty cupcake store/bakery. So yesterday I bought a big bag of lemons and started perusing the internet for recipes. I found this recipe on http://sugarcrafter.net and she has some great recipes!


These took me awhile to make - first the cupcakes, then the lemon curd, finally the frosting. The dishwasher and sink were full of bowls, spatulas, whisks, cutting boards, measuring spoons and cups. I should have just paid the $4, but I am stubborn! I wanted to make my own lemon cupcakes. I have a tendency to often do this and it drives my husband crazy!

Cupcakes:

2 1/4 cups cake flour

! tablespoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

4 egg whites (save the yolks for the lemon curd)

1 1/4 cups milk

1 1/2 cups sugar

lemon zest from two lemons

1 stick of butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Lemon Curd:

1 cup sugar

6 egg yolks

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1 stick of butter, cubed

1 teaspoon lemon zest

Frosting:

1 stick of butter, softened

1/2 cup shortening

4 cups powdered sugar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

To make the cupcakes preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place cupcake liners inside two cupcake pans.

In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking powder and salt.

In another medium bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together until it smells like a Jo Malone perfume.

In another bowl whisk together the egg whites and milk.

Add the butter into the sugar mixture and beat until light and crumbly. I just used an immersion blender.
Then beat in the vanilla and lemon juice.

Add in the flour and egg mixture, half at a time. Beat until everything is well combined.

Pour the batter into the cupcake liners - fill each one about 3/4 full. Bake for 18 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle of a cupcakes and comes out clean.


After the cupcakes have cooled - poke a hole into the middle of each cupcake using a small spoon.


While the cupcakes are baking make the lemon curd - so that it has time to firm up and chill. Lemon curd is very simple to make!

Simply put the egg yolks and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in the lemon juice and lemon zest - stir constantly. When the mixture is nice and thick add the cubed butter and continue to stir until the butter is melted. Pour the mixture into a container and place in the refrigerator to chill.


Place the lemon curd into a zipper top bag and snip off an end and put a little dab into each little hole.


To make the frosting  - cream together the butter and shortening. Beat in the lemon juice and gradually add the powdered sugar. Add vanilla and beat until everything is combined. Start frosting the cupcakes!


Yum! These were fantastic! Make them for the lemon lover in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment