Saturday, June 22, 2013

Tommy Bahama's Key Lime Pie



My husband loves Tommy Bahama - the clothes, decor and restaurant. I always buy him Tommy Bahama candles to light in his office. They "relax" him - and he is often really stressed out! Right now he is living the island lifestyle with  the "Maui Mango" candle. His two favorite desserts from the Tommy Bahama restaurant are the Key Lime Pie and Butterscotch Pudding.

Ingredients:

1 10" graham cracker pie crust

1 egg white

2 1/2 cups sweetened condensed milk

3/4 cup egg yolks

1 cup freshly squeezed key lime juice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly brush the graham cracker crust with the egg white. Place the pie shell in the oven and bake for 5 minutes. The crust should be golden brown. Let the crust cool at room temperature.

Reduce oven heat to 250 degrees. Mix egg yolks and condensed milk using a whisk. Pour the key lime juice into the mixture. Mix slowly until everything is well incorporated. Pour the mixture into the crust. Bake at 250 degrees for 25-30 minutes.


The finished pie resembles a "Jell-o" like consistency. Let the pie cool for 1/2 hour at room temperature. Then refrigerate for at least two hours before serving.


The Tommy Bahama website has a white chocolate mousse whipped cream recipe to top the pie.  But I couldn't find one of the ingredients - an instant white chocolate mousse.

So I made my own whipped cream recipe - using a pint of whipping cream I added two tablespoons of granulated sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla. Then I mixed everything for a few minutes with an immersion blender.


I was feeling lazy so I just filled a zipper bag with the homemade whipped cream and sniped off a small corner to pie around the pie and a little in the center.

My family loved the pie - it was delicious!  I think it tasted just like the Key Lime Pie they serve at Tommy Bahama.

2 comments: