Saturday, April 16, 2016

Homemade Carrot Cake




I found this recipe on http://www.momontimeout.com/2012/08/to-die-for-carrot-cake-recipe/ and it was a super easy recipe. I had everything I needed for this recipe in my fridge and cupboard except the can of crushed pineapple.

So yesterday I ran into the store to grab a can of crushed pineapple! And came home to bake an awesome carrot cake!

Cake Ingredients:

First Bowl:

1 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 cups sugar

3 eggs

Second Bowl:

2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Third Bowl:

2 cups grated carrots

1 cup coconut

1 cup chopped walnuts

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup crushed pineapple in juice


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat two 8-inch pans with baking spray.

Combine the first bowl ingredients. Add the second bowl to the first bowl. Stir until all of the ingredients are combined. Add the third bowl and stir until the ingredients of all three bowls are combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.



 Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.



Let the cakes cool completely before turning them out to frost.

Frosting:

2 sticks of butter, (softened)

16 ounces of cream cheese (softened)

2 teaspoons of vanilla 

8 cups of powdered sugar

Directions:

Beat the butter and cream cheese in your stand mixer until they are light and fluffy. Add vanilla and continue mixing.

Add the powdered sugar two cups at a time - continue mixing until the sugar is combined.

Place the first cake on a cake plate and spread a generous amount of icing on top and put the second cake on top.


Start icing the top and sides.


I usually sprinkle the tops of my carrot cakes with chopped nuts or toasted coconut - but I happen to have these icing carrots left over from Easter. So I used the icing carrots to decorate the cake.


This cake was so fantastic!


My husband loved it! He said it tasted like a Polly's pie. Note: I have never been to a Polly's Pie! I don't think he has either. And it was a cake - not a pie! He was doing his best to be complimentary.


No comments:

Post a Comment