Friday, April 1, 2016

Beef Stew

I feel like a loser because I never posted any crafts or recipes for Easter this year. However, I did post quite a few Easter crafts and baked goods on my Instagram account ROOMMOM27_TERESA_STEELE. Follow me I post a lot of fun ideas!

 So since it has been chilly in the evenings I have experimented with a few different Beef Stew recipes and I found this recipe the most flavorful and quite easy to make. This Beef Stew is adapted from an epicurious recipe. And the recipe uses beer instead of red wine.




Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 pounds cubed stew meat — cut into 1" pieces

1 medium onion,  finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

12 ounces of beer

4  1/2 cups beef broth

2 tablespoons tomato paste

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar

1/2 teaspoon dried basil

3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" cubes

4 large carrots, peeled and sliced

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

finely chopped parsley 


Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in 2 batches brown the meat on all sides for about six minutes a batch. Remove the meat from the pot and place on a plate.


Add the onion to the pot.


Cook the onion, stirring until softened for about 3 minutes. Also add the garlic and cook stirring for an additional minute.


Pour the beer, beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, sugar, dried basil, salt and pepper to taste into the pot.


Return the beef to the pot, simmer until the meat is tender for about 2 hours. Stir in the potatoes and carrots and  simmer until the vegetables are tender and the meat is very tender about 40 additional minutes.

Remove one cup of liquid from the pot and slowly whisk in the flour. Stir the flour broth back into the pot. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. 

Sprinkle with parsley.

While the soup was simmering I threw together a green salad. Sadly I do not have a picture of my salad. But a bowl of Beef Stew is perfect with a salad and some crusty bread.


Yum - I love Beef Stew on chilly evenings. With this recipe I always have leftovers for the next evening. 










No comments:

Post a Comment