Thursday, March 13, 2014

Pecan Pie Granola

I have given up sweets for Lent - so I didn't want to make a pie for Pi Day tomorrow. Besides since Noelle is away at school and Christian only likes ice cream for dessert - would make a whole pie just for my husband?


So I ran across this Pecan Pie Granola recipe on the Dashing Dish and realized that it would be perfect for Pi Day tomorrow. However, I changed the recipe a little - I felt I could change it because I make granola all the time and often substitute ingredients.


Granola is a perfect snack, on top of yogurt or ice cream, with milk like cereal. And did you know that Pecan Pie is American's third favorite pie. The most popular is Apple followed by Pumpkin. And pecans are one of the most antioxidant nuts.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup pecans, chopped

1/2 cup almonds, chopped

2 cups old fashioned oats

1/4 cup brown sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2  teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

3 tablespoons maple syrup

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 egg white, lightly beaten

1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray it with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl combine all of the dry ingredients - mix to combine. Add the maple syrup, vanilla and egg white. Stir until everything is well combined and pour the mixture on the prepared baking sheet.


Bake for 25 minutes.


 Once the granola is cooled stir in the butterscotch chips. And store the granola in a sealed container.



Tomorrow I am bringing pizza to Christian's math class in honor of Pi Day! Pi Day is yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment