Monday, September 30, 2013

Starbucks Lemon Loaf - The True Copycat Recipe?





 I know, I know I made a Starbucks Lemon Loaf last week. But I often try 5 or 6 varieties of the same recipe. Example: my four different Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipes. How could I not try out the recipe with the words "the true copycat recipe" in the title? But when I read the recipe it started with a boxed cake mix.

Now, I don't want to be a cooking from scratch snob - there is a time and place for a boxed cake mix. However,  I think a Lemon Loaf is something that is pretty easy to make from scratch. But once I Googled the Starbucks Lemon Loaf - this recipe came up time and time again on several blogs. Everyone said it was just like the Starbucks Lemon Loaf. Soooo...I just had to try this recipe.

I gave my husband a piece and asked him if he thought it tasted like the Starbucks version. He said that it was better. Last week I brought some Lemon Loaf to my friend Kim who just had knee surgery and I also served it to my friend who stopped by - but she lives 45 minutes away. My husband was away on business when I made the other Starbucks Lemon Loaf recipe. So the true unbiased taste test will fall on Kim's shoulders! I will bring her some this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

I found this recipe on a blog called Let the Baking Begin and I think that is a really cute name for a baking blog!

Ingredients:

1 box yellow cake mix

5.1 ounce instant lemon pudding mix

1/2 cup vegetable oil

4 large eggs

1/2 cup milk

8 ounces sour cream

6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Lemon Topping:

1/2 stick butter, room temperature

2 cups powdered sugar

4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour two 9 x 5" loaf pans. Set aside.

Combine the cake mix and lemon pudding mix in a large bowl.

In a medium bowl combine the vegetable oil, eggs, milk, sour cream and lemon juice. Whisk until everything is well combined.

Add one cup at a tim of the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Mix on low speed (I just used an immersion blender) for about 15 - 20 seconds after each wet mixture addition. Do not over
beat or your cake will deflate.

Divide the batter evenly between two loaf pans. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Remove the pans from the oven and let them cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Remove the loaves from the pans and let them cool on a wire rack.

I placed the cakes on parchment paper in order to frost them.



Beat the butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon extract until smooth and spread the icing over both loaves. Let the icing harden before slicing. Sometimes I make extra frosting (like today) - because I am a generous froster!


I love Lemon themed baked goods! I will let you know what Kim thinks tomorrow!



Okay - both Kim and I agree! The first recipe was a little better and more lemony! But try both recipes and decide for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment