Saturday, January 19, 2013

Lobster Mac & Cheese

I hardly ever make Macaroni and Cheese. If I do I make it from scratch. My kids have never had Kraft Macaroni and Cheese out of the blue box at my house. Perhaps they have had it at a friend's house. There have been times when I bought the Trader Joe's frozen Mac and Cheese - when we have a lot of sports (games and practices).


A side note - I made this while I watched Roger Federer win Bernard Tomic in three sets at the Australian Open after Tomic talked about how he could  beat Roger. Please dude - don't talk smack about Roger - it made you look like an idiot. Now that I got that off my chest I can start the recipe!

Ingredients:

8 ounces of elbow macaroni

2 cups whole milk

4 tablespoons butter

1/4 cup flour

2 cups freshly grated Gruyere cheese

1 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese

1 1/2 cups cooked Lobster meat, finely chopped

3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Boil the elbow macaroni al  dente according to the package directions. Drain well and set aside.

Heat the milk on low in a small saucepan.

In a large pot melt 3 tablespoons of butter and add the flour to the melted butter. Stir until the mixture is thick. Add the warm milk and stir until the mixture has thickened.

Remove the pot from the heat and add the Gruyere and cheddar. Stir until the cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Now stir in the elbow macaroni and lobster.

Spoon the mixture into individual ramekins. I was able to get 5 ramekins of the mixture. Each of my ramekins holds about 1 1/2 cups of the macaroni mixture. Place your ramekins on a cookie sheet.


Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and add the bread crumbs to the melted butter. Stir to combine and spoon the bread crumbs over the tops of the ramekins.

Bake for 25 minutes until the sauce is bubbly and the top of mixture is nice and brown.


Serve piping hot and accompany with a green salad.


No comments:

Post a Comment