Sunday, July 8, 2012

Blueberry Lemon Muffins

Did you know that July is National Blueberry month? I know - you learn something new from this blog each and every day!



I make Blueberry Muffins all summer long! I put blueberries in my fruit salads and I make an awesome blueberry syrup that can be used on ice cream or pancakes! So keep checking back and I will be posting some great blueberry recipes.



Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1 egg
2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
1 cup blueberries
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup confectioners sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender.

In a medium bowl combine the buttermilk, egg and lemon zest. Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the blueberries.

Scoop the batter into a muffin pan prepared with cupcake liners. Bake for 16 - 20 minutes.



Once the muffins have cooled put the muffins on a wire rack and place foil or wax paper underneath the rack. Combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar and whisk until a glaze forms. Drizzle the glaze over the muffins with a spoon.


Once the glaze has set - I put the muffins in a cake plate on my kitchen island. These can be used for breakfast or an afternoon snack!



These will be gone in a few days! Blueberry muffins are also a wonderful addition to a summer brunch.


My kitchen island - with blueberry muffins and huge container of homemade granola! Do you keep your counters clear or full of goodies?


No comments:

Post a Comment