Sunday, July 17, 2016

Root Beer Float Pie

This is a cool and refreshing pie to serve at your summer barbecue. Although I make this pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I found this recipe on www.thedomesticrebel.com and I have made a few adjustments to the recipe - starting with the graham cracker crust.


It is so simple to make!


Ingredients:

crust:

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1/4 cup packed brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

7 tablespoons of melted butter

filling:

3/4 cup root beer

1/2 cup milk

1 small box of  instant vanilla pudding

1 teaspoon root beer extract

1 container (8 ounce) Cool Whip, room temperature

Directions:

First the crust must be made.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine the crust ingredients and press them firmly into a pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. If you have the time the homemade graham cracker crust really makes the pie awesome!

Tip: I make a ton of graham cracker crumbs in my food processor all at once and keep the extra graham cracker crumbs in a large jar so that I always have graham cracker crumbs in my pantry.

Let the pie crust cool completely. If you want to skip this step you can buy a graham cracker crust at the grocery store. No judgement here!


In a large bowl combine the root beer, milk, pudding and root beer extract. Whisk until everything is thick and combined. 

Tip: I found the root beer extract at both Michael's and Hobby Lobby in the cake/candy making aisle.


Once the mixture is thick and combined add the room temperature Cool Whip and stir until everything is combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust and put into the freezer for at least 8 hours or overnight.


After at least 8 hours in the freezer take the pie out and decorate with whipped cream and cherries.


I like to use the maraschino cherries with the stems.


The leftovers can be stored in the freezer! Let me know if you make this recipe! I make it all the time  because it is one of my family's favorite desserts!

No comments:

Post a Comment