Thursday, August 4, 2016

St. Francis Peg Dolls for Religion Class

"For it is in giving that we receive." - St. Francis




I am a substitute Religion teacher. I always have a Saint peg doll for the kids when we learn about that Saint.

I think the children will enjoy learning about Saint Francis. So since it is the summer I am trying to get a little ahead and started by painting St. Francis of Assisi.


I always buy my wooden pegs at Hobby Lobby - you can get 8 pegs for $3.99 but I always use a 40% off coupon. So I pay about $2.40 for 8 pegs!

I had all of the paint colors that I needed in my craft cabinet and a bunch of paint pens and Sharpie pens. Noelle bought me a couple of good brushes and I use my old brushes on the large sections.


First I painted two coats of brown for the robe. Then Noelle painted the belt and the three knots.  The three knots are for poverty, charity and obedience.


Then I painted two coats of flesh for the head. And used brown again for the hair and beard. I used a black Sharpie pen for the eyes and smile.

St. Francis was the first person to receive the Stigmata of Christ.


Using a piece of scrapbook paper I cut out a bunch of little birds and Modged Podged them over the other hand. St. Francis became a preacher to both the rich and poor. He was even known to preach to birds.


St. Francis was born into a very wealthy family and gave up it all up for a life of poverty. He loved all animals. There are so many interesting facts about St. Francis to teach the children!


Today the Pope is in Assisi And Monsignor John prayed the prayer of St. Francis this morning at Bible study.




No comments:

Post a Comment