Thursday, November 12, 2015

Chicken Tortilla Soup


Some of my favorite things to make when the weather starts to get a little chilly - soup and pies. Okay, who I am I fooling I make pies all year round!

Last night I made Chicken Tortilla Soup - I even have leftovers to heat up for dinner tonight. Yah me!

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon canola oil

1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped

1 tablespoon of minced garlic

2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped

1 (32 ounce) carton of chicken broth

salt and pepper to taste

3 cups of shredded and chopped rotisserie chicken

1 red bell pepper, finely chopped

3 roma tomatoes, finely chopped

1 cup of milk

1 can (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup fresh or frozen corn

Garnish Ideas:

shredded cheddar cheese

sour cream

cilantro

diced avocados

tortilla chips

Directions:


Heat canola oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot add the onion and jalapeño and sauté for a few minutes. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. 

Add chicken broth and salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low and add chicken, tomatoes, bell pepper and black beans. Add milk, black beans and corn. Bring mixture to a low boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes.


This is a really pretty soup. Put the soup in bowls and add desired garnishes.


I garnished the soup with tortilla chips, sour cream, cheddar cheese and avocado chunks. I had cilantro but I forgot to use it!

My husband likes his food a little spicy to he added a little hot sauce to his soup.



No comments:

Post a Comment