Thursday, September 4, 2014

Fresh Fig Jam


Tomorrow I am going to Fig & Olive for a girlfriends birthday lunch. I wanted to make a small party favor. Lately I have been bringing flowers in repurposed tin can vases and sachets for party favors. So today I decided to do something different and make small jars of Fresh Fig Jam.

I love figs, in my childhood home we had a fig tree in our backyard.

All summer I have seen fresh figs at Trader Joe's, Sprouts and Whole Foods. When I researched fig jam all the recipes were all about the same - fresh figs, sugar, water and lemon juice. I had sugar and fresh lemons but everyone was out of figs.

 However, when I went (as a last resort) to the produce store next to Trader Joe's and asked them if they had figs - he said sure we have "June figs" and they are with the berries.  These "June figs" are smaller and very sweet.



Ingredients:

4 cups chopped fresh figs

2 cups granulated sugar

1/2 cup water

1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice

Directions:


Wash the figs and trim off the stems.



Chop the figs into small pieces and throw them into s saucepan with the sugar and water. Bring the mixture to a boil.


Then reduce heat and simmer for about an hour until the mixture has reduced and thickened. Add the lemon juice and simmer for an extra minute or two.


Let the mixture cool and carefully spoon the fig jam into the sterilized jars and seal with the lids.  Once the jars have cooled place them in the refrigerator.


While the mixture is simmering - you should prepare your jars and lids by sterilizing them in boiling hot water. Set the sterilized jars on a clean dish towel. I used small 4 ounce jars. And this recipe filled 5 small jars. I bought these jars at Target. They have a great jar selection in the kitchen section.


Isn't this fig jam beautiful? I love the color.


Since I made these little jars for a party favor I added a little piece of scrapbook paper on top of the lid and a small piece of coordinating ribbon around the lid.  I am hoping to make little birthday labels in the morning.

This jam can be used on toast, English muffins or scones. It can also be used as a condiment on a cheese and crackers tray. It is wonderful on ice cream!

And of course it would be fantastic in a sandwich with brie and argula or even a pizza with the fig jam and argula.  I think my friends will love this party favor.

Happy Birthday Kim!

No comments:

Post a Comment