Saturday, August 27, 2011

Homemade Ranch Dressing

Last week I bought some fat free Ranch dressing in the grocery store. What a mistake - it was so gross! I ended up throwing it away. And I really hate wasting food.



I make my own Ranch dressing most of the time - with fresh herbs. So I guess I am just used to a fresher taste. Try this dressing - it just takes a few minutes to make and you will really taste the difference.



3/4 cup mayonnaise (use really high quality, organic if possible)
3/4 cup sour cream (I use organic)
1 tablespoon olive oil
fresh lemon juice - squeeze the juice from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
1/2 cup of buttermilk
1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
1/8 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
dash of salt and fresh ground pepper


Now you have two choices. I make it both ways. You can whisk everything by hand in a medium size bowl or place everything in a blender and pulse for 10 seconds at a time.



Once everything is blended - put the dressing in an air-tight bottle or jar. Place the jar in the refrigerator where it will keep fresh for about 1 week.

I sometimes use fresh basil instead of the Italian parsley.  This is also a great dipping sauce. I use it for baby carrots, baked zucchini and  jumbo artichokes.






Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment