Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Tips on Cutting Felt

I have read about tips on how to cut felt from various blogs and craft websites. I thought it seemed  like a lot of work and I just wanted to trace a pattern with a marker and cut the felt over the marker lines. But when I made the wine glass ornaments I couldn't get the stem cut perfectly and neatly so I decided to try the cutting tips.

Supplies:

freezer paper

sharp pencil

pattern

felt

iron

ironing board

fabric cutting scissors



Freezer paper can be purchased at most grocery stores and Target.


Place the freezer paper with the shiny side down.  Trace a cookie cutter, cardboard pattern with a sharp pencil. If you have a pattern printed from the internet simply place it underneath the freezer paper it can be easily traced.




Cut the patterns out.


 Decide what color felt to iron the pattern.


Iron the pattern onto the felt with the shiny side face down.


Using your sharpest fabric scissors cut out the patterns. I bought my fabric scissors at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon. The freezer paper stiffens the felt and makes it easy to cut neatly.


Then pull off the freezer paper and you have a perfect piece of felt. So easy- I can't believe that I resisted using this process years ago!

I craft with felt a lot and this procedure has been life changing!






No comments:

Post a Comment