Friday, July 5, 2013

Strawberry Scones in Honor of Wimbledon - Tennis Anyone?



I have been watching Wimbledon for the past twelve days! I love it! I can't stop watching. I am excited for the ladies final tomorrow. So I made some scones and in honor of Wimbledon I added some strawberries. And I will be speaking with a British accent until after the men's final.


I was serious - if you want to play a little tennis - call me! And now I must tell you about this easy recipe that you can serve for breakfast or perhaps have with your afternoon cup of tea.

Ingredients:

1 cup strawberries, cut into small pieces

3 tablespoons granulated sugar

2 cups all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

6 tablespoons butter, cut into cubes, slightly softened

3/4 cup heavy cream

1 tablespoon sugar (for topping)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and lightly grease a cookie sheets or put a Silpat mat on the cookie sheet.

Add a tablespoon of sugar to the cut up strawberries and set aside.

Combine the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.  Add the butter using a pastry cutter. Stir in the strawberries. Then stir in the heavy cream.

Use a spatula to gently stir the dough until it holds together. Be gentle don't overwork the dough.

Turn the dough on to a piece of parchment paper and kneed a few times to incorporate all of the ingredients. Add a little extra flour if the dough is sticky.

Press and pat the dough into a circle about 3/4 " thick.


Cut the circle into 8 wedges. I used a pizza cutter - but a sharp knife would work just as well. Transfer the wedges to the cookie sheet. Leave at least 1/2" space between them.


Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sugar. Then return to oven for another five minutes. Bake until the tops are lightly browned. Be careful you don't want dry scones.


Let the scones cool on the cookie sheet for about five minutes - then they can be removed to s serving platter.


The scones would look fantastic garnished with some fresh strawberries.


So watch Wimbledon, make some scones, play some tennis!



No comments:

Post a Comment