Thursday, September 5, 2013

Apple Walnut Carmel Bundt Cake



I do not like the Back to School season. I love summer. I love long days at the beach and pool. I love barbecues and eating outside. I love vacations. And now we are getting ready for carpools and homework. Yuck! However, it looks like we are experiencing a late summer heat wave - so it will still feel like summer - even when my kids are back at school.

So I really don't know why I decided to get up early this morning and make a Autumn themed cake. I guess I really just wanted to bake something.

This would be a perfect after school snack or a before going back to school treat.  You can serve with vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream.

Ingredients:

3 cups of flour

3 teaspoons of cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 cups canola oil

1 1/2 cups sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

3 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla

3 1/2 cups apples,  peeled and cut into small pieces

1 cup chopped walnuts

For Icing:

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup butter, cubed

pinch of salt

1 cup powdered sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray the bundt cake pan with a cooking spray.

In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Set aside.

In a large bowl combine the oil, sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Slowly add the flour mixture 1/3 of the mixture at a time. Mix well after each addition.

Gently fold in the apple pieces and walnuts. They batter will be very thick.


Pour super thick batter into the prepared bundt cake pan.


Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Test with a fork or toothpick at 1 hour and twenty minutes.


Once the toothpick comes out clean remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Then run a knife along the edges.


Invert the cake onto a plate. Let it cool for another half hour. Once the cake is cool you can make the Carmel Topping.

Directions:

In an extra large saucepan combine the brown sugar, heavy cream, butter and salt. Stir constantly until the butter is melted. Remove from the heat and add the powdered sugar. Stir constantly until everything is combined. Let the mixture cool.


I put the cooled mixture into a zipper top bag and cut a little snip in the corner and zig zagged the icing over the top of the cake.


My husband loved the homemade Carmel Sauce. I agreed - it was fantastic! I hope that everyone has a positive and productive school year!




No comments:

Post a Comment