Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Homemade Cheese-Its


My kids love Cheese-its and Goldfish. I thought I would try to make some homemade Cheese-its. I probably read ten different recipes before I settled on this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens.

Ingredients:

8 ounces of extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

1/2 stick unsalted butter (4 tablespoons) room temperature

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 cup all purpose flour

2 tablespoons ice water

Directions:

Fit your stand mixer with the paddle attachment and mix the cheese, better and salt. Add the flour and continue to mix on low. Once the dough is pebbly add the water. Continue to mix on low until dough forms - this takes about 4 or 5 minutes.



Pat the dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide the dough into two pieces and roll each piece into a very thin rectangle. Using a fluted pastry cutter cut the dough into 1 inch squares.


I bought the fluted square cookie cutters at Sur la Table. It was $20 for the set.


Transfer the the little squares onto the parchment lined baking sheets.


Before baking the Cheese-Its use the blunt side of a bamboo skewer to punch a small hole in the center of each cracker. Bake for 13-15 minutes until the cracker is puffed and slightly browned on the edges. Place the crackers on racks to cool.


I think these look so cute. They would be wonderful on top of a salad or some soup. They were so easy to make and just a few easy ingredients.


They would also make adorable appetizers lined up on a tray topped with a very small dollop of hummus and a fresh sprig of rosemary.


Guess what? I get to cross this recipe off my Recipe Bucket List!

No comments:

Post a Comment