Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Pope Francis Peg Dolls for Religion Class



I am substitute teaching a 1st grade Religion Class today. So I decided to make the kids some Pope Francis peg dolls and we could learn some fun facts about Pope Francis. We are Catholic and learning about Pope Francis will be a lot of fun for the kids!

Here are a few fun facts - (Keep in mid this is a 1st grade class0

He is a huge fan of soccer

He has a Masters Degree in Chemistry

He speaks Spanish, Latin and Italian. He understands German, French, Portuguese, English and Ukrainian

His father was a basketball player and Pope Francis played hoops in his youth

Okay - when I started making these Pope Francis peg dolls - I decided to wing it. But you might want to Google some tips.

Supply List:

Wooden peg dolls

White, cream and peach paint

Paint brushes in various sizes

Paint pens in silver and black

Shellac or varnish

Thin silver ribbon

Small cross beads

Thin black ribbon

Glue gun/glue sticks

Sharp scissors

Directions:




I bought the wooden peg dolls at Michael's. The first step I did was to paint the robe white.


I painted two coats of white paint. The paint dries quickly in between coats.


I also bought the paint on sale at Michael's.


Next I painted the robe in cream. The face in peach and used the paint pens to make the hair, glasses and eyes and smile.



I bought the silver paint pen in package with a gold pen at Michael's. I already had the black paint pen. Because you are using the paint pens in a small area they need to be fine tip paint pens.


I started making a list of the steps needed to finish the project.


I also drew a little picture. So on the cream robe  I added white arms and a white stripe down the middle of the robe.


I glued a thin pice of silver ribbon at the bottom of the robe.


After the white stripe dried I added some silver buttons. When the white arms dried i added peach hands and a small sliver Rosary in his right hand. Once everything was dry I added two coats of varnish.


I found these little cross beads at Hobby Lobby. I threaded the cross bead on a thin black ribbon and added them around the neck with a small drop of hot glue. It was the final step. 



I am looking forward to my 1st grade class today and I think we will have a lot of fun learning about Pope Francis. 

No comments:

Post a Comment