Sunday, February 15, 2015

Handmade Cross Necklaces



I am still substituting for the 5th grade Religion Class. The good news is that I now know everyone's name and I no longer need to use to use the name tags! This week I made everyone a Cross necklace. I used metallic pony beads to make these Crosses.  But pony beads come in all the colors of the rainbow. For a Baptism or First Communion you could use white or pastel colored pony beads


These Crosses can be made into Bible study bookmarks, zipper tags or even a little tie on to party favor bags.

Supplies:

Pony beads

Coordinating beading cord

Glue dots

Scissors

Directions:

Cut your cord into the desired length. I cut mine into thirty inch length because I was making necklaces.


I used black cord but this cord comes in a wide variety of colors - so if you were using pastel beads a white or cream cord would look perfect.


You will need these little glue dots to hold the Cross shape together. They are clear so they really don't show on the finished project.


First layout six beads in a Cross shape. I chose to use a mixed color palette but these would also look really pretty in all one color.


Place the first bead in the middle of the cord.


The second bead is threaded through both sides of the cord.


Using the glue dots fill the holes of the middle bead with glue dots and adhere the side beads.


Thread each side onto the cord. 


Thread the last bead through both pieces of cord and tie the top bead with a knot.


 These would also make cute key chains.


Since I made necklaces I tied a knot at the top of the cord.


I had a lot of fun making these necklaces - I made them because I am teaching the class on Ash Wednesday which is the first day of Lent. This year I will be giving up all sweets for Lent.


No comments:

Post a Comment