Tuesday, September 6, 2011

My Final Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe (For Now)

Yes, I made four Pineapple Upside Down cake recipes. This will be my final Pineapple Upside Down cake recipe - for now! I don't know if I will see another recipe that I absolutely have to try! Although I think my family is a little tired of the Pineapple Upside Down cake.



Today I remade the Betty Crocker recipe with a few changes!

1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 fresh pineapple cut unto rings
15 fresh cherries
1 box of Betty Crocker SuperMoist yellow cake mix
vegetable oil and eggs called for on the cake mix box
1 cup of unsweetened pineapple juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a 13x9-inch pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the butter. Arrange the fresh pineapple slices on the brown sugar. Since I am using fresh cherries I can not place them on the cake until after it has baked.


The fresh pineapple rings are a little larger and thicker. Add 1 cup of pineapple juice to the yellow cake mix  instead of water and add the vegetable oil and eggs as directed.  Then pour the batter over the pineapple slices.

Bake for about 42 to 48 minutes.



Once the cake comes out of the oven - invert it onto a serving platter. Using a cherry pitter - pit the cherries and add them to the cake.



Guess what? This was everyone's favorite recipe. Sorry Paula and Emeril - your recipes were really good. But Betty's was best! What is the moral of this story? Fresh fruit is always better. And we can not be cake mix snobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment