Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Heirloom Tomato Soup



Lately I have been ordering Heirloom Tomato Soup whenever it is on a menu. So I decided to try to recreate the recipe at home. I Googled a bunch of recipes and figured out how to make it at home.

I had some awesome Heirloom Tomato Soup last week and it was served with a Lobster Grilled Cheese sandwich. Yum!

This is a really easy recipe and can be made in advance - then reheated before serving.

Ingredients:

2 lbs. heirloom tomatoes, sliced

1 shallot, finely chopped

3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

 1-2 cups chicken stock/broth

3 to 4 table spoons heavy cream (optional)


Directions:



I used cherry sized heirloom tomatoes.  Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Slice the tomatoes in half and place them in a large shallow pan. 


Add the shallot, olive oil, salt and pepper. Place the pan into the preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes. 


Once the tomatoes are soft and the pan is full of tomato juice the pan can be removed from the oven. I let the tomatoes cool for a few minutes. 



Then the tomatoes can be pureed. I used an immersion blender - because I am lazy and didn't want to clean a food processor or blender.  Then the tomato puree can be added to a saucepan and the chicken broth and heavy cream can be added to the simmering soup. Add more chicken broth if you want a thinner soup.


I served the soup with some crusty bread and a green salad.


This soup recipe only made about 3 large soup bowls. The next time I make this recipe I am going to double the recipe. 












No comments:

Post a Comment